Dear friends of Thay,
How excited we are to tell you about a new book project, Walking with Thay, in which students of Thich Nhat Hanh share their journeys of transformation as a result of following Thay’s teachings. The book will be a compilation of first-person short stories of how we were touched, moved, and inspired by Thay.
Walking with Thay is a celebration of Thay’s life and a celebration of our lives with him as our beloved teacher. May this book further the bond of Thay’s students around the world, and may it also inspire potential new students on this path of joy and love.
Best of all, the Walking with Thay book project is also a fundraiser. All proceeds after expenses will be donated to the Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation.
We invite you to be part of this exciting project in the following ways:
- Submit your story for consideration.
- Spread the word and build momentum! Pass this email on to other students of Thay.
How to decide to submit a story
Reflect on these questions:
- Were you lost or searching and the teachings of Thay were your answer?
- How did Thay’s teachings liberate you? Bring you joy, freedom, peace, or something else that inspired you?
- How did his teachings bring you something beautiful that was previously missing?
- At what point did you know that Thay was your teacher? Describe that experience.
- Was something going on in your life for which Thay’s teachings provided a turning point or offered a different path? Tell that story.
More information about how to submit a story:
- Please send a Word document or Google Doc of no more than 1200 words. This book will be printed in English, so all submissions should be in English. We will select a range of stories that capture various perspectives and experiences to create a poignant volume. If your story is selected, we will send back comments for revision. You will be required to resubmit the story by the resubmission date for inclusion in the book.
- Initial submission deadline: 5 pm (ET) August 30, 2019
- Submit your story to firstname.lastname@example.org
In gratitude and peace,
Mary and Jeanine
About the editors
Jeanine Cogan, Ph.D., is a long time student of Thich Nhat Hanh who fell in love with the teachings in 1996 and is committed to introducing mindfulness and meditation to others. She is known among her students as warm, lighthearted, and grounded. As a former academic, Jeanine edited two books as well as professional journals and is thrilled to bring this editorial success to the Walking with Thay book project.
Mary Hillebrand has studied and practiced in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh since 2001, participating in sanghas in Washington, D.C., and Madison, Wisconsin. In her current role as a high school teacher, Mary enjoys teaching mindfulness to her students and sharing her practice with other educators. She also brings 10 years of technical experience to the Walking with Thay book project from her first career as a magazine editor and writer.